Sunday, April 1, 2012

Apple Bread Pudding

Once a year I make this for the Men's Fraternity Graduation Ceremony. That is all I can tell you about that, otherwise, I would have to kill you...
Anyway, my friend Donna McGukin shared her recipe with me several years ago and my husband says it is the best bread pudding he has ever had. So, I keep making it. Duh.


































PUDDING:
10-12 slices of white bread, cubed or torn in pieces
1 apple- peeled and sliced very thin *
1/2 C raisins
3 eggs, beaten
1 C sugar
4 C milk
1 stick margarine
cinnamon and nutmeg, to taste

* try using a vegetable peeler to peel thin slices of apple

Place the bread cubes, apple slices and raisins in a 9X13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. In a saucepan, heat the milk, sugar and margarine until the margarine is melted. Beat the eggs well in a large bowl. Slowly add the hot mile to the eggs, mixing well. Pour this over the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Serve with warm rum sauce.

RUM SAUCE
3/4 C sugar
2 T flour
1 stick margarine
1 C water
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp butter extract
2 tsp rum extract

Mix flour and sugar in a saucepan. Add water and margarine, cook until bubbly. Remove from heat and add the flavorings, mixing well. Serve over warm bread pudding.


** I feel like this post needs further explanation. I made a double batch and used a deeper pan than I should have, so in the "after" picture the bread is a little more done than it normally would have been. I felt it was more important that the eggs were done instead of the bread being the correct shade of light brown!

*** I also almost to forgot to take the "after" picture. This after picture is actually what was left after the ceremony and without the Rum Sauce, which is so yummy and really makes the dessert.

Bon Appetite' Y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment